Album: Omo Charlie Champagne
Released: April 19 2019 (happy belated birthday to Simi)
1. Charlie: There is something so quietly powerful about this track. The song hits all the right highs. Simi takes us on an emotional journey as she processes her feeling about her late father. She is sad, yet happy; not mad yet furious and we feel every single emotion along with her.
2. Ayo: Ayo is the song you want to put on for that Saturday morning cleaning. You will dance your way through that dusty living room, I promise.
3. Jericho: The rhymes in this song are 🔥🔥🔥. The beat in this song is 💯💯💯. Here's the problem: you can't be cool when dancing to this song. When it comes on, your body does not know whether to dance to the lyrics or the beat, so you end up dancing to both and looking like a fish on the chopping board. Also, "I lay you down like an edge controller," is a bonafide Simile. Please call the writers of Queen Primer and Verbal Reasoning and tell them to include it, thank you.
4. By You: This song is the embodiment of the Simi-and-Adekunle we all know and love. Classic. I'm a fan.
5. Immortal: This song is...um, nice. Okay fine, it is not my favorite song. Sorry Simi, I still love you though.
6. Love On Me: 🤭🤭🤭
7. The Artist. Yes! Yes! Yes! Please say it louder for those of us artists at the back.
8. Move On: This song guts me. Over and over. Until I am curled up in a fetal position on the ground. Simi is so good at expressing what we all feel but may not have the artistry to articulate. And that falsetto? The rawness in it bleeds me dry.
9. Mind Your Business: Auntie Simi, this table you are shaking, some of us sip tea on it every day. 😏
10. Lovin: I have been a Simi fan since day one, so it is hard to pick a favorite among her songs. But Lovin is pretty up there. Also, if you have not seen the video, I only have one thing to say to you: Why?
11. Please: I am such a sucker for Simi's voice accompanied by a piano. She could be singing "A-B-C-D" and it will still be a profound work of art. Please is so emotional and I'm here for it. "Please don't lose what I found," Simi begs on this track. I can relate, Simi. I can relate.
12. I Dun Care: The awesomest part of this song is the spelling of "Don't" as "Dun." Simi really dun care what anyone has to say in this song and she makes that known right from the track's title. Awesomest is not a word, this sentence is a comma splice, you can tell I dun care too.
13. Hide and Seek: I am here for the intro of this song. It is unlike anything I have heard from Simi. I'm a fan.
Simi is a such a gifted lyricist. Weh done ma. More power to your elbow, more inspiration to your mind, and more love to your heart!
Here are some of my favorite lines from this album:
"Will you forgive me for the happy tears?" - Adekunle Gold on By You
"Be the Range to your Rover?" - Simi on Jericho
"I lay you down like an edge controller" - Simi on Jericho
"Please don't lose what I found." - Simi on Please
"Carelessly loving you, babe, is the worst thing I could do." - Simi on Move On
"Sweet, but hard to chew, like sugarcane" - Simi on Move On
"E dey pain" - Simi on Move On
"See, I walked down the aisle just the other day/ but you weren't there to walk me. /I 'm not mad o / I take that back, I'm furious." - Simi on Charlie
"Can you Simi now?" - Simi on Jericho
"Wanna hold you tight like a folder." - Simi on Jericho
"The Artist is always under pressure...there's pressure from within as well." - Simi on The Artist